Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Mandarin season

It's mandarin season here, and as usual, I can't get enough of them.

Years ago when I was traveling (backpacking) I arrived on the tiny Greek island of Lesvos at the start of  mandarin season and I must have been deprived of vitamin C or something, because the whole time I was on that island, I ate mandarins by the bagful.

They were sweet and tangy and almost entirely seedless. It was the first time I'd come across seedless mandarins, and I was hooked. I ate mandarins for breakfast and lunch and only at dinner time did I have a normal meal.


Now whenever I buy myself a bag, I smile as I remember those happy days in Greece.

2 comments:

  1. mmm, sounds wonderful Anne. I recently read about dipping orange sections in dark chocolate and sprinkling with sea salt. Makes my mouth water to just think about the combination. I envy you your backpacking adventure in Greece!














    ReplyDelete
  2. It's traditional to have mandarin oranges here in the States during the Christmas holiday. Actually, from Thanksgiving on. At the beginning of the holidays Mom would buy a box of mandarins and we ate them from Thanksgiving through Christmas. Mandarins and a bowl of mixed nuts in the shell, along with a dish of hard ribbon candy, spell holidays for me.

    ReplyDelete